As a digital marketing consultant, I am regularly approached by publishers and advertisers with the same request:
“What is native advertising? How do we do branded content? How do you make a video go viral?”
I can never sum this up in a few sentences. But from now on, I will reply with these three words, “WATCH THIS VIDEO,” before I even begin to launch into best practices. And, please do (click on image below). It’s two minutes of your life and it’s worth every second.
Why This Video Went VIRAL:
- It’s relate-able to those who commute by subway
- It provides a SURPRISE
- It’s less than two and a half minutes
- It’s FUNNY!
Why Advertisers Love NATIVE ADVERTISING:
- Video Views (Over 100,000 as of this post and it was posted 5 days ago!) — it is hard to reach that with a purely branded video
- Vitamin Water is integrated seamlessly into the content which is true to the College Humor brand
- Vitamin Water-branded landing page on trusted College Humor web site provides authenticity
- Video is also hosted on YouTube — reaching even more eyeballs and appearing in search results
- The opening billboard contains both the College Humor and Vitamin Water logo, and the hashtag: #makeboringbrilliant which ties in organically with the content
- There is a post-roll video ad — which is super-effective, because it’s yet another funny video ad, but this one is completely Vitamin Water
- Viewers HATE pre-roll, akin to “banner blindness, where users are frantically searching for the X button to end it NOW!
- BUT it you have a post-roll video ad played at the end when viewers are already engaged, they’re more likely to absorb and remember a brand’s advertising message
I’ve admired Vitamin Water’s #MakeBoringBrilliant campaign underground and I love the online extensions. Content Marketers take note — this is an excellent example of native advertising.
Vitamin Water, you have made my DigiDay!